Sardine toasts are a weekend luxury that I indulge in when I do not need to breathe on someone for the next few hours. I even eat this for breakfast when I want to start off the day with some delicious protein, omega-3 and calcium. Searing the skin with a blow torch adds a smoky flavor that is balanced by the pickled shallots, cucumbers and Italian parsley.
- Can of sardines packed in olive oil
- Few slices of toasted bread
- 2 tsp Italian parsley, minced
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 hot house seedless cucumber, diced
- Japanese seasoned vinegar (used for sushi or salad)
- Place diced onions in a bowl. Fill withJapanese seasoned vinegar until onions are covered with liquid. Pickle for about 30 mins. Note that the onions will produce liquid.
- Remove sardines from can and place them on a plate. Using a blow torch, lightly sear the sardines.
- Place sardines on toast and top with picked onions, fresh cucumber and parsley.