My blow torch makes me feel like an iron chef. Armed I am ready to caramelize anything especially fat. Quickly searing sashimi grade salmon belly caramelizes the fat without cooking the fish. My rule of thumb is do not mess around with good ingredients. When you encounter wild white king salmon just bow! This is a recipe where the less steps and ingredients the better.
- Sashimi grade salmon preferably the belly cut
- 1 Tbsp Yuzu
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Shiso leaves, finely sliced into long thin strips known as “chiffonard”
- Maldon sea salt
- Slice salmon and lay pieces over a porcelain plate
- Using a blow torch sear the salmon. DO NOT COOK
- Mix Yuzu and olive oil to make vinaigrette, drizzle over seared salmon
- Garnish with sea salt and shiso leaves
- Serve immediately
If you have truffle salt, this dish will go from awesome to divine.